Women, Infants & Children (WIC)

The Nutrition & WIC Services Section administers one USDA – funded program, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) . This program provides nutrition education and supplemental foods to income eligible Kansas women who are pregnant, postpartum or are breastfeeding. Services are also provided to infants and children.

The Nutrition & WIC Services Program also provides nutrition support for the variety of programs within the Kansas Bureau of Family Health. The mission of Nutrition & WIC Services is to improve the health status and nutritional well-being of Kansans through access to:

  • Quality nutrition intervention services by a registered/licensed dietitian;
  • breastfeeding promotion and support
  • substance abuse identification, nutrition education, and integration with and referral to other health services.

Who’s Eligible?

Kansas residents that:

  • Are pregnant
  • Are breastfeeding, up to baby’s first birthday
  • Are non-breastfeeding mothers, up to six months after baby’s birth
  • Are children under five years old
  • Meet the WIC Income Guidelines
  • Have a medical or nutritional need

Examples of nutritional risk factors to determine eligibility:

  • A high or low weight for height/length
  • A diet inappropriate for age
  • A reduced amount of iron in the blood (hemoglobin)
  • Medical conditions that jeopardize nutritional status

Many working people don’t realize that they are eligible for WIC.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800)877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866)632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington D.C. 20250-9410; or by fax: (202)690-7442; Email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.