Current Candidate Listing for August 2, 2016 Primary Election
Candidates Filing List 2016 Primary
County Looking for Election Workers
Help get out the Vote
Cowley County is always looking for volunteer election workers. Help members of your community exercise their civic duty by pitching in at election time. If you are interested fill out the Election Worker Application and return to the County Clerk’s Office.
For an advance ballot click: Advance Application by Mail
Election District Maps
Township Officers and Committee People
Democratic and Republican Party Chair
- Democratic Party Chair is Sharon Gordon email@example.com 620-986-5520
- Republican Party Chair is Janet Whittington firstname.lastname@example.org 316-746-3120
Beginning January 1, 2013
Proof of U.S. Citizenship Required for Voter Registration
Any person registering to vote in Kansas for the first time is required to provide evidence of U.S. citizenship.
If you do not provide a citizenship document when you complete your voter registration application, you must submit it to the county election office. You may submit it by mail, hand delivery, fax or email.
Valid Citizenship Documents
Here is a list of U.S. citizenship documents that are acceptable for voter registration:
- Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
- U.S. passport (may be expired)
- U.S. naturalization document or the number of the certificate of naturalization
- Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty number or tribal enrollment number
- U.S. hospital record of birth indicating place of birth in the U.S.
- U.S. military record of service showing applicant’s place of birth in the U.S.
- Final adoption decree showing the applicant’s name and U.S. birthplace
- U.S. citizenship document issued pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
- Consular report of birth abroad of a U.S. citizen
- Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State
You may find more information and a complete list of documents at www.gotvoterid.com.
Registration Status/New Registrations
Registration cards must be postmarked by the 21st day before an election in order to be eligible to vote in that election.
To register to vote you must be a citizen of the United States and also be at least 18 years of age. Once registered, that registration is valid until one of the following occurs:
- Voter changes his/her name by marriage, divorce, or legal proceeding
- Voter changes residence by moving either within his/her present precinct or to another precinct
The books for registration close 21 days prior to each election and reopen the day after election day.
Permanent Voter Registration Outposts
- Arkansas City Clerk
- Winfield City Clerk
- Burden City Clerk
- Udall City Clerk
- SRS Office
- Health Department – Arkansas City
- Health Department – Winfield
- Kansas Commission of Veteran Affairs
- Department of Motor Vehicles
Registration Data Request Form
- Download the Voter Registration Data Request Form
Registered voters who wish to vote in advance of election day may apply for an advance ballot by contacting the Cowley County Clerk’s office at 221-5400 option 0 or 441-4500 option 0 for an advance ballot request form, or download an application here.
Application for an advanced ballot can be made in person, by mail, telephone, another person may apply on a voter’s behalf as long as the voter signs the advanced ballot form, by allowing someone to assist the voter if the voter is sick, disabled or illiterate, and also by applying to be a permanent advanced voter. An advance ballot will be mailed to the address as specified by the voter: Either the voter’s residential address or mailing address as indicated on the registration list, the voter’s temporary residential address or a medical care facility, psychiatric hospital, or hospice of adult care home where the voter resides.
The ballot must be voted in secrecy and returned to the Cowley County Clerk’s office by the time the polls close on election day. Advance voting in person may begin 20 days before an election and ends at noon the day before the election. An advance voter may go to the Cowley County Clerk’s office to apply for a ballot and vote in the office.
A voter may declare a party affiliation at the time of registration. The party affiliations are: Democrat, Republican, Libertarian or the voter may choose to be unaffiliated. A voter who is unaffiliated may sign a declaration to affiliate at the voting place during a primary election.
Party affiliation changes are suspended during a partisan primary election year from the filing deadline June 1 at noon through the State Canvass which is to be held by September 1 of that year. If the voter is unaffiliated the voter may affiliate at anytime including the day of the primary election.